Tuesday, November 1, 2011

That one thing that makes me twitch: Thoughts on my OCD.

        I am not the kind of person you would typically classify as OCD. I don't have a meticulously clean house. I don't color code my closet or line my bookshelf up in alphabetical order, & I don't check the locks on my doors 5 times before I go to bed. I am, however, a bit OCD about chronology. I cannot stand to watch movies in a series out of sequence. If someone is watching a sequel to a movie that I haven't seen the prequel to, I will leave the room and make sure to squeeze my eyes shut so I don't see anything that could ruin it for me. I have waited months for a season of a show to come out on DVD because I missed an episode that aired and I couldn't continue watching until I had seen every piece, in order. I don't like posting pictures online if I haven't posted them in order of when they took place. Last night my mom was begging for pictures of Liam trick or treating, but I have about a months worth of stuff to post, and no time to sort through the shots, so I didn't want to post only Halloween pictures. I did anyways, but it drove me crazy. In similar OCD fashion, now that I am blogging, I don't feel like I can blog about something if there is an older event that I need to record first. If I ever want to come back and re-live these memories through my blog, I want to be able to re-live them in chronological order.
        I also do not like the celebrate holidays on "substitute days" other than the actual date. I do not like birthday celebrations that aren't actually on the day, and I always thought it was annoying that Chiefland would do trick or treating on whatever Saturday was closest to Halloween. (This year they did it 2 nights before Halloween...strange!) Right now I am super annoyed that I still haven't had Liam's 2 year pictures done. He's getting them done on the 19th of this month, but by then he'll be 26 months instead of 24 months, and for some reason that drives me bonkers!
       Ya know, as I type this out I realize how crazy I sound. I realize if you're reading this you're probably thinking I need to take a serious chill pill, (adderall anyone?) I promise that even though I may be all sorts of crazy, I really am fairly normal on a day to day basis. I am able to function and have friends and not come across like a total insane nut. I just have this very particular list of pet peeves, and messing up chronology happens to be one of them. Thankfully in life it's all about balance. There are plenty of things that drive other people completely mad, that I'm totally relaxed about. I've convinced myself that we are just different breeds of crazy, so it's OKAY for me to have my OCD moments. If you are reading and realizing that you don't have anything that makes you crazy, please seek help, you may be the crazier than you think.
       What motivates me to disclose to you my OCD tendencies? Well, I logged in today planning to blog about Halloween. Liam was so cute last night and I really wanted to write it all down, 1.) To share about my cute kid to anyone who will listen, and 2.) Because I'm trying really hard to keep up with the memories before I lose them. As I sat there with my fingers perched on the keyboard ready to begin the newest post about Halloween, it occurred to me that I still have other "memories" from last week that I have yet to record, and that is completely unacceptable to me. I was instantly reminded of my ridiculous vexation with chronology and since my fingers were on the keyboard, this post is me virtually "blurting out," if you will, my thoughts on the matter.
         I would love to post about all those events and cute moments right now, but I used up the precious moments of "free time," I have writing about OCD instead. (I'm sure this wont be nearly as fun to read in 10 years as stories about Halloween will.) Nevertheless, I have neglected my children for the last 10 minutes while writing this and mass chaos is taking place around me. There are lunches to be fed, naps to be had, dishes to be done, & laundry to be folded. 
         What are you OCD about? Don't lie to yourself, we all have at least one thing that we go a little nutso over. Maybe you have 50 things, don't be ashamed, I want to know!
        

2 comments:

  1. I love your OCDness! Your mom would say that i am OCD when it comes to my pantry or my kitchen cabinets...but i just think it is being organized...it becomes a problem when i go to other peoples kitchens and start organizing their cabinets...not that i have done that or anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, second of all, I love your writing. You rock, and you're funny.

    Firstly, it may be helpful for you to try experimenting with some NON-linear views of time, if you will. Basically, take your everyday horizontal past->future timeline, take that line in both hands and crunch it down in to a tiny microwad. Its like.. everything EVER is ALL HAPPENING at ONCE, man! ALL THE TIME! O_o

    Last of all, if my third suggestion was neither helpful nor amusing, I propose a fifth:

    Consider dropping the 'disorder' from our OCD diagnosis. I'm no proctologist, but most of the behavior you've described here sounds decidedly of the good old 'OC' variety. With out a few obsessive or compulsive behaviors here and there, we'd be an unconcerned, sluggish lot, wouldn't we? 'Oh-See-Dee' does roll off the tongue a bit smoother, and I suppose it doesn't evoke any ideas of a gag-inducing "reality" series on upper-class Californian teenagers, so there's that.

    ReplyDelete